There are nine different positions in baseball. They are pitcher, catcher, right fielder, left fielder, center fielder, first baseman, second baseman, third baseman, and shortstop. These positions require specific skills to increase performance.
There are also nine batters in a baseball team’s lineup. Batters stand a few inches from an opposing pitcher in a baseball game and hit the ball when the pitcher throws it. Hitting skills are necessary to hit balls accurately. Drills and exercises can improve proficiency in hitting skills.
There are different training aids and equipment that can help with exercises.
A pitching machine is a machine that pitches balls to a player at different styles and speeds. A pitching machine can either be hand-fed or receive feed automatically.
There are different types of pitching machines:
- Softball: Pitch only softballs
- Baseball: Throw only baseballs
- Combo Pitching Machines: Pitch both softballs and baseballs
There are also two categories of pitching machines: arm action machines and circular wheel machines.
You can set up the pitching machine in the netted area.
Arm Action Machine
The arm action machine simulates the actions of a pitcher and throws balls the way a pitcher does. The device delivers balls in an overhand motion. The arm action machine has a steel arm that rotates to hurl the ball. Arm action machines can only throw fastballs.
Circular Wheel Machine
A circular wheel machine can have one, two, or three wheels. The wheels spin like a bike tire, and the wheels align vertically or horizontally. The circular wheel machine pitches balls to the batter once the wheel receives a ball feed. Circular arm machines are more portable and can throw a variety of balls.
One-wheel machines are lighter and more portable than arm action machines, but they only throw fastballs. This type of device is suitable for young players.
Two-wheel machines throw balls at faster speeds and accuracy than One-wheel machines. The wheels in the two-wheel machine spin independently of each other at different speeds. This variable speed creates a spin on the ball. Two-wheel machines throw both fastballs and breaking balls.
Three-wheel machines are more expensive and larger than other pitching machines. Still, they can throw various balls that include fastballs, breaking balls, split fingers, knuckleballs, etc. They are also very accurate and throw consistent balls.
Best Pitching Machines
There are different pitching machines from various manufacturers, and they include;
- Jugs BP1 Combo pitching machine
- BSN Sports Bulldog Single Wheel pitching machine
- Heater Sports Deuce 95 pitching machine
- Franklin MLB Style Kids pitching machine
- Louisville Slugger UPM 45 Blue Flame
Louisville Pitching Machine Review
The two types of Louisville Pitching Machines are the Louisville Slugger UPM 45 Blue Flame and the Louisville Slugger UPM 50 Black Flame. The black flame machine is an upgrade to the blue flame machine, and they both have similar features.
Louisville Slugger UPM 45 Blue Flame
The features of the blue flame machine are as follows:
- Portable and lightweight machine that weighs about 25 pounds
- Throws different balls between 18 and 45 mph
- Adjustable speeds and pitch locations.
- Throw fastballs, ground balls, breaking balls, etc.
- It is compatible with any ball.
- Steel and aluminum are the materials for the construction of this machine to ensure durability.
The blue flame pitching machine is acceptable in the Little League Baseball category.
Louisville Slugger UPM 50 Black Flame
The black flame machine is similar to the blue flame machine, but it has some different features.
- Unlike the blue flame machine, the black flame pitching machine can pitch balls up to 60 mph
- Weighs about 24 pounds
- The black flame machine is more versatile than the blue flame because it has more speed options and variable adjustments.
- It is also more expensive than the blue flame machine.
It is acceptable in the Babe Ruth league
You can check out Best Baseball Training Aids and Swing Trainers in 2021 and Best Baseball Swing Analyzer
Practice improves player skills. Players can practice with the machines on their own and improve their skills by training.
The Louisville slugger blue flame and black flame help players practice with different kinds of pitches at various angles.
The Louisville pitching machine’s cost is cheaper than other pitching machines, and they come with a 60-day warranty.