Baseball is an outdoor game that requires batters from a team to hit a ball from an opposing pitcher to score points. A baseball bat is one of the pieces of equipment used by baseball players.
The type of bat used for playing determines ball speed and distance. Bats differ in material, style, size, etc.
Baseball Bats are of different types. The differences between baseball bats include size, material, style, barrel diameter, certifications, barrel length, drop weight, etc.
Materials for making bats include wood, aluminum, alloy, and composite materials.
Bats can be one-piece or two-piece in style. One-piece bats have the same material in their entire design. In contrast, two-piece bats have different materials for the handle and the barrel.
Barrel diameter is different for bats, and it ranges from 2¼ to 2 5/8 Inches. A large barrel diameter increases the contact area of a bat and accuracy.
Barrel length for bats ranges from 24 to 34 inches, while drop weight is the negative difference between the bat length in inches and the bat weight in inches. Drop weight is a measure of how heavy a bat is. High-drop indicates light bats while low-drop indicates heavy bats.
There are various certifications for bats depending on the type of league.
BBCOR certifications are for NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) leagues. BBCOR is the batted ball coefficient of restitution, and it is a measure of how bats perform compared to wood bats.
For USSSA (the United States Specialty Sports Association) leagues, BPF-certified bats are legal for play. BPF refers to the ball performance factor. It is a measure of how fast a ball rebounds off a bat referencing a solid surface.
Rawlings sporting goods company is an American company established in 1887 which produces sports equipment and apparel. Baseball bats are one of their products.
Rawlings is a high-end bat producer, and they have different bat series and such as Quatro Pro, 5150, and Velo series.
You may be interested in Best Youth Baseball Bats
The Rawlings VELO is a series of bats, and there are different members with various features. Members of the series include;
Rawlings Velo BBCOR ACP Bat
This bat is a one-piece alloy bat with a composite end cap. The alloy for production is the Ai909 alloy which is strong and gives the bat thinner walls for lighter weight and enhanced performance.
- Barrel diameter of 2 5/8 inches, indicates a large sweet spot and improving accuracy.
- A drop weight of -3 with a balanced swing feel.
- ACP (Accelerated Carbon Performance), which has 2 inches of carbon composite at the end cap. The ACP gives the bat the swing feel.
- BBCOR certified and is legal for play in intermediate and Junior divisions of the little league.
- A longer and flatter barrel with a precision handle.
- Durable and has a balanced swing weight.
Rawlings Velo Maple Wood Bat
- A 2 ½ inch barrel diameter and an approximate drop weight of -3.
- It is made from maple wood and is extremely durable.
- The bat has a balanced swing weight with a design for players looking to maximize swing speed and control.
Hence, the bat is suitable for contact hitters.
Rawlings Velo ACP -10 USSSA Bat
The bat is a one-piece bat made from Ai909 alloy and a 2-inches carbon composite end cap.
- It has a drop weight of -10 and a 2¾ inches barrel diameter, giving the bat a sizeable sweet spot.
- A balanced swing weight, a long and flat barrel, a thin handle, and a grip that provides comfort and a better feel.
- USSSA stamp which certifies it for USSSA league games
- Suitable for youth players.
Rawlings is a high-end bat manufacturer which improves the quality of their products and designs bats to suit players’ needs. The Rawlings Velo series features different bats from which players can choose.